Thursday 10 January 2019

Lessons from the Photography Master …of uncomfortable chairs and amazing poses!

Its is 23rd of Dec, 20-something, and the Christmas mood, combined with my previous days event, and under immense peer pressure from Chelule et al., I end up in a photo studio sweating under camera lights and blinding flashes. We came here to do what they called professional photos taken by a professional photographer in a professional photo studio …we had just graduated. Before this, I had been ok with the few photos I had taken with my y6pro Huawei (or ‘uuuuui’ as my KAOcasian kinsmen and kinswomen would call it)
Well, that’s not the story. The story is what I learnt from the photography master.
The philosophies around photography have been around for some time now. First, you have heard it said that THE BEST PHOTOS are DEVELOPED from NEGATIVES in a DARKROOM (for those who remember the village camera man with a camera tethered around his neck, and kodak films bulging from their pockets …and always taking photos on a bended knee). And gain you have heard it said; WHATEVER YOU FOCUS ON YOU CAPTURE! You cannot keenly focus on my feet and clearly capture my face …NO! However professional you, your camera or your studio is...
Then now this day, this photography master requests me to sit on a chair for a shot. First was a nice rotating leather chair with a shining silver foot rest. We tried all possible poses, postures, …everything. The photos weren’t looking as good. Then this master quips; COMFORTABLE CHAIRS NEVER ALLOW FOR GREAT POSES! And right there, he got me a metallic, non-rocking chair that FORCED my back in the right place, and my head and shoulders up straight!
…so is life’s discomforts.

1 comment:

  1. The best is sometimes or often produced in unpalatable conditions.

    ReplyDelete